Food and Butterflies

It has been a fantastic week here at Fat Mouse Towers, work has been normal but I have managed to get out and get some lovely images.

First I have been trying to improve my butterfly images  and the Marbled Whites that show locally really helped with that. The image below was the result of watching these lovely butterflies drop down ready for roosting.

The camera used was a Canon 5D Mk3 and a Sigma 150mm Macro lens. The backlight helps makes this image for me and the lovely pastel background complements the butterfly.

Taking images of Butterflies is not an easy task and I have spent many fruitless hours pursuing specimens before giving up. I have found the best way is to photograph them either first thing in the morning or last thing at night, they are not so prone to flying off and you can get a lot closer to help diffuse the background and get some of the wonderful detail.

On Friday I had been invited to photograph the food that was on offer for an event night at Clavering Lodge, the Chef Ian produces some wonderful food and for me it was an opportunity to try something new.

The camera was again the 5D Mk3 and the lens was a Canon 100mm Macro lens, this lens gives lovely sharpness but can be used creatively producing blur. The food was lit using a small  Neewer LED that was set up at a 45 degree angle, a silver reflector was used to bounce light back into the shadows.

This weather has been a nightmare for me, I prefer it somewhat cooler so not being able to sleep has become something of a pattern. On Sunday I threw the towel in and went to Hatfield Forest, this was a 5am start so it was lovely and quiet. 


These harebells were beautifully lit and the dew on them just made a lovely image. I love Hatfield Forest it hosts an amazing amount of wildlife, my only wish is that people would take responsibility for their rubbish and take it home or ensure it is disposed of properly.

Personally I think the National Trust could do more such as banning all single use plastics from their cafes and restaurants, instead of selling plastics which then get left in the forest. 


Thank You

Adrian





Comments