High Key Flowers.

Like everyone I am pushed for time sometimes need my photography fix, so this morning I spent some time taking images of wild flowers in my garden.

Dandelion

I am working on a personal project making high key images of flowers and trying to get them to look like the old botany images in Victorian books.

The method is quite easy to take the image:

1) You will need a white background, a piece of paper or card is OK, a tripod, remote release or tethered to the PC, a way of mounting the flower (I use a glass with florists Oasis in). I also use a small LED light to help with lighting the subject.

2) Set up the paper so it is against a window and back lit. Set the subject about 18 inches (45cm) away from the background, set the camera on the tripod.

Daisy
3) Camera settings I use are

  • ISO100
  • f11-13 depending on size of subject
  • I overexpose by 1 stop, but this may need to be played with.
4) Compose the image and fire away, using the LED light you can change the angle of the light falling on the subject  and therefore get an image that is more to your liking.

So have fun and enjoy....



Speedwell

Comments